Why Be Consumed With Why

In a conversation with a friend this morning, the focus point became on "why", being brought up due to a certain persons need to know why. It got me thinking about our need to know why. I have often wondered why we as a seemingly intelligent people get so bogged down in the why, as if to know the why will really do anything at all. I understand the need to know how this affects that or how this works and the such. And I can understand wanting to know why this person did this, or why I feel this way, or why it seems that the world is getting colder and more distant. But again, does knowing the why really give us what we want and/or are looking for?

Much has happened to me through out my life and I've come to a point of understanding that to me, the why only mucks things up in my head, and often keeps me focused on the negative, the fantasy, the would of, could of, should of of life. When hurt or not understanding the actions or thoughts of another, we get consumed with knowing the why. I struggled with my child's behaviors over the past weekend and I keep pushing the why at him, until I realized the why was a concept foreign to him, and that what I was really looking for was an answer that would give me some sort of satisfaction, that in reality, was not mine to get. The deeds were done and the behaviors were there; knowing the why in all reality would give me neither peace nor resolution.

In my life and professional studies, I have come to embrace reality and her theory. I don't say reality in a as much of a philosophical manner but as in a reality of choice, consequences, and being present, rather than in having a foot in the past or a foot in the future, or both, neither of which I can control. If I allow myself to be in the present, in the reality of the situation, and remove the wide and misleading road of my emotions, I often find that when I embrace the present and give power to my thoughts and direct my mind where I want it to go, I can find peace and serenity, what I crave in life.

So to me, the why is something that keeps me rooted in a false belief or hope that I can control what I am asking of the why. To me, focusing on being present, on the situation at hand, improving my ability to embrace the wisdom God has given me to direct my mind and thoughts in a positive and loving manner, I can discover what it is I need and begin to create the steps of getting it. In my culture, story telling is a way of passing down history, not a way of lodging myself in the past. The why is what it is, but the power I possess and the direction I embrace is mine, and has very little to do with the why, except to give me an understanding of the past and her forces that drive me towards success.

Today, I challenge you my friend and reader, to embrace the day, be present, heal through the whys of the past, and embrace your future.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You Saw What?

Worthy and Wanted

Life without Coffee - No Way