Living The Label

I'm not much of a label person, and maybe you're not either, but have you noticed while shopping the people looking at labels on food and products. And what about all those warning labels, stating this product can cause cancer, this one tooth decay, that one heart disease, and so forth. It is my impression that labels are out there to make our life easier, to make choices easier, and to guide us as we make decisions that are in our best interest and best for our health. In many areas, labels serve a purpose, and in other areas, they really don't.

I've come to the conclusion that many times labels just state the obvious. Labels like, "smoking causes cancer", or "sweets cause tooth decay", or "alcohol may cause birth defects", just state the obvious; pretty common sense stuff. Sure, there are many labels that are helpful, especially for those of us who are counting calories, limiting sodium and cholesterol, or watching our fat intake. Others labels, like warning labels and caution labels, help us to avoid potential hazards, and I appreciate those labels.

Imagine if we came with labels. You can review the labels of potential friends, mates, coworkers, neighbors, etc. Just think of some of the labels we'd see, labels such as, Alcoholic, Psycho in the Making, Child of Dysfunctional Family, I'm a Keeper (I've seen the T-Shirt), Hot Irish Temper, Religious Zealot, Low Brain Potential, Closet Control Freak, Liberal or Conservative, Handy Man, Emotionally Stable, etc. Just imagine how simple life might be if people wore labels. Good thing we don't huh, or do we.

The labels we wear as people are the deep interior labels of our self-perception and value. We all walk this earth wearing labels plastered on us by the family, friends, teachers, bosses, and people we've encountered. These are the labels that surround our soul and wall up or free up our authentic self. Labels such as, fat, stupid, ignorant, slow, ugly, incompetent, lazy, criminal, bad, mean, foolish, silly, daft, worthless, and on and on, build walls around our authentic self and destroy our self concept, leaving us feeling unworthy, rejected, and damaged, limiting our ability to become who God has created us to be. Other labels such as cute, smart, energetic, athletic, empathetic, considerate, wise, good, loveable, good body and looks, help us to free up the walls that hold us in. However, living up to unobtainable expectations of others or needs of perfection can turn these words into walls as well.

We all walk around bearing our labels that color our self perceptions and either limit or free us to be who God created us to be. I encourage you, my friend and reader, to realize the labels others have placed on you and evaluate them through the Heart of Christ. Any label that is not of love is not from God. Even if you have submitted to the label, you can chose to end that belief and behavior and align yourself to the love of God and wear His labels. I encourage you, my friend and reader, to realize who gave you these labels and mentally let them go, giving them back to whom originally owned them. And harder still, I encourage you, my reader and friend, to be more aware of the labels you place on the people around you, especially your children, spouse, and friends. Keep the labels on the cans.
(The writings in this post are random thoughts and observations and are NEVER intended as professional or personal advice. Take what works and leave the rest. For information on mental health and/or substance abuse help, visit http://www.rodneyvalandra.com and refer to the links page.)

Comments

  1. I really liked this blog. I think the hardest ones to overcome are "labels" given to us by those who "love" us. I wonder why sometimes, people who love us, think they have that right to label us in the first place? I speak, especially of, parents to children who sum up who we are based on their thoughts and opinions and slowly, over the years, we come to accept those as our realities. I am thankful for relationships in my life that don't judge me by my mistakes, sum me up, catagorize, label, stamp, price, and put me on a shelf! I love those who allow us freedom to be who we really are, and love us anyway despite our faults as human beings. Thanks for writing this one. I hope people become more aware of the fact that what they think and say about people really DOES matter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the comments. You are speaking of unconditional love, and as much as I feel it's rare to find, it's very filling when discovered. I think part of our labeling is done without understanding what we are doing, so it helps to become more aware. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can honestly say that I have only found it in God. That is what I focus on now because people can't be our everything...only God can. Just wish it hadn't taken me so long.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

You Saw What?

Worthy and Wanted

Is it Tired or Am I Just Getting Old