You Saw What?

That old saying about opinions surely applies to perceptions. You and I can visually see the same thing and have different perceptions. And this applies to what we hear, experience, and belief. I perceive the cold and beauty of winter as that of a child, with excitement and joy, whereas my friend might experience this as misery and confinement. And then, the cost of heating and the fear of freezing could be a completely different and drastic impression to others.

In my opinion, I only know of one absolute. Most everything else is perception. It seems to me that we quickly, and oh so easily, fall into the belief that our perceptions are fact and in many cases, especially for those of us with higher degrees of control needs and rigidity, fail or refuse to see past what we feel. As I listen to people around me, in my interactions, I am aware of how perceptions interfere with the ability to truly hear and understand others.

I heard a person once state, “They’re my feelings and so their true”. The reality is not so, however I can agree that our feelings are valid, which has nothing to do with true, false, right, or wrong. I have to wonder just how often I cling to my perceptions of a person, forming an opinion, and hold onto it like a drowning man to a thrown rope. To realize our misperceptions would mean giving up our need to be right, which causes a new world of struggles.

I challenge you, my reader and friend, to spend this upcoming week becoming more aware of your perceptions. Write them down and evaluate the perceptions, looking for prejudices, past harms, fixed stereotypes, hidden angers, faulty and dysfunction belief systems and conclusions. Image how your mind and understanding would change, allowing you to really hear and feel what comes to you from others, slowly relinquishing the misperceptions of your perceptions. Open your mind to God’s perceptions, as they are really the only true perceptions. Align yourself with Him and let go of what doesn’t honor Him…or you.

(The writings in this post are random thoughts and observations and are NEVER intended as professional or personal advice. Take what works and leave the rest. For information on mental health and/or substance abuse help, visit http://www.rodneyvalandra.com and refer to the links page.)

Comments

  1. I have been out of town Rodney and surely have missed reading your blog. Today's is amazing. I had an argument with my dad a couple days ago and became so angry at him because of how stubborn, judgemental, and set in his ways he is. I had to walk away and pray really hard and what came to me is kinda like what you posted today. I had to accept that a Person's perceptions ARE their realities, although they may not be truths. I want so bad for him to see MY truths. I also had to let God tell me...let GOD be God and stop trying to change someone. So I prayed for my dad. I want so much more for him as I know he would be happier. But i spend so much time focusing on what other people should be that I looked and saw that I was doing the same thing I was angry at him for! AHHHHH- will the battle ever stop? Thanks for posting this and reminding us, once again, that if we just focus on GOD, we wont' have time to look elsewhere! I am so thankful for people like you who are convicted to help others be accountable to ourselves to the only one who really matters. I have tried to please others for so long and lost so much joy in my life, it is a hard habit to break. Keep it up...I love your thoughts and challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It can get pretty hard letting God be God, especially when we convince ourselves we can do it so much better and quicker. That human thing. Thanks for the positive words. Stand firm and love your dad as you need to love him.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Life without Coffee - No Way

Worthy and Wanted