The Steps We Leave Behind

In a conversation, we talked about looking behind, seeing the me's and you's of the past, related impact, regrets, desires, and dreams, some still being dreamed and others forgotten. It seems so real to wonder if the paths we have chosen in life have really meant anything, to be remembered, to be recalled. Wondering if anyone will really ever remember the choices made, the sacrifices, our journey.

Looking back, our paths are like the footsteps of our life’s journey. They show where we’ve been, who we’ve encountered, when we were solid in our steps and when our walk was shaky. Some of our paths are deep with vivid footsteps; others have been washed away from the tides of life as the steps along an ocean’s edge. I suppose though, in reality, all of our footsteps fade through time, whether blown away from the winds of change or washed clean from the rains of heaven; footsteps become something of the past.

It’s the stories passed down from generations, in books, in family bibles, in journals, and sent letters, that are kept alive, as history, to be passed on, old memories of old paths, footsteps to be remembered. Names of many whose footsteps have impacted my life no longer remain in my mind, but their actions and faces linger. The footsteps of people I’ve never met continue to impact my life, as my father who my children will never meet continues to impact their lives, through my stories and through his life.

The memories of their footsteps are like memorials in my mind. What we do will impact the lives of others in ways neither you, I, nor they will realize. The steps we take in this world will bless those yet to come, or can become the “sins of the father”, a burden for others to carry. I encourage you, my reader and friend, to strive to make the paths you choose to create greatness in your lives and pass greatness to those you encounter, and to those who will only know you through the stories of others. We have choices in the footsteps we make; I encourage you to be wise in your choices. Never choose to cause pain. Those footsteps remain just as memorable. Choose to influence life. Choose to influence others. Choose to love as He has commanded us to do.  Let your footsteps be a witness of the love of Christ, in all we do.



(The writings in this post are random thoughts and observations and are NEVER intended as professional or personal advice. Take what works and leave the rest. For information on mental health and/or substance abuse help, visit http://www.rodneyvalandra.com and refer to the links page.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You Saw What?

Worthy and Wanted

Life without Coffee - No Way