No Sitting Allowed

There is an old Lakota story (some from my memory and some of my mind) of an elder who is communing with his brothers and sisters of the forests, gaining wisdom from the trees, rocks, living beings, and earth, sharing solitude with his relations. As he is making his way around a mountain through the woods, he comes to a clearing that lies just before where the mountain begins its incline towards the blue skies and white clouds. A young man is seated on the ground, at the trees edge, looking into the woods. As the elder approaches, the young man looks at him, asking, “Grandfather, I am in search of the meaning of life, can you tell me what it is?” The elder looks at the young man and reply’s, “My son, watch the earth worms, the winged and four legged ones, they will show you”, and the elder skillfully climbs up the mountain.

Two days later, the elder is again making his walk around and up the mountain. Sitting in the clearing, is again the young man. The elder approaches, asking, “My son, have you found the meaning of life?” The young man, sitting on the ground, looks up in frustration, answering the elder, “Grandfather, I have sat here for two days, I have heard nothing but rustling of animals in the woods and the wind blowing through the trees, I have seen earth worms poking out of the earth, I have smelled the scents traveling on the back of the wind, my body has become too familiar with the hardness of my mother, and yet, I have not seen, nor heard, nor felt the meaning of life; you have wasted my time.”

Patiently and lovingly, and with great compassion and understanding, the elder rests near the young man. He looks at him and tells him, “Son, you have heard and seen and felt only what you were prepared to, you have not done so with your heart. The winds continued to move, the worm continued to burrow, your relations continued to travel, and the trees continue to stand guard. My son, the meaning of life rests in itself.” At this, the young man became angry, “Grandfather, I’m tired of your riddles, please tell me the meaning of life”. At this, the Grandfather arose, stood above the young man, stating, “My son, the meaning of life is to live in it, not to sit at its gate and wonder what it is, life is meant to be lived”. At this, the elder began his climb up the mountain, the young man sitting, starring into the woods.

I encourage you, my friend and reader, to embrace the many facets of life God has granted you, making no assumptions of tomorrow, no expectations of others, no demands of the past, being present and alive in today. Life is meant to be lived, not to be watched as a lump on a couch viewing the passing world through the lens of a television, or through empty words of debate and promises. God has given you a wonderful gift. Move past safety of the clearing and into the woods of life. I encourage you to embrace the life of God, beyond your human limitations, into His presence.


(The writings in this post are random thoughts and observations and are NEVER intended as professional or personal advice. Take what works and leave the rest. For information on mental health and/or substance abuse help, visit http://www.rodneyvalandra.com and refer to the links page.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You Saw What?

Worthy and Wanted

Is it Tired or Am I Just Getting Old