Got a Quarter?

Traveling during the holidays can bring episodes of nostalgia, memories of times lost, of events of the past, stirring thoughts of days long gone, of memories of “the good times” of the life of our youth. In driving to my home town to see my family over Christmas, my own children and wife sleeping in the van as I listened to the music of a different era, of my era, songs sung by John, Paul, George and Ringo, Janis, Elton, and Kevin Cronin, my mind was flooded with such memories of the past relationships and related events of my youth. A nice escape during a four hour cruise.


The Christmas Season can do that do us, bring back memories of times gone, of lost opportunities, of choices both good and bad, as it signifies a coming new year, with new hopes and dreams and anticipated changes in life. I like my memories, even the not so joyful ones, for they tell me where I’ve came from, hint to me where not to go back to, and stimulate my being towards the endless options God brings into my life, and the power He has granted me in my ability to choose.

The past can be a powerful backdrop to the stage of our future. It is filled with the props we’ve used before, some of which we hold onto that just keep us rooted in the past, some in our grasp keep us rooted in the present, and others linger about to remind us of who we could be, of what we are suppose to be, according to the narrative of the Writer of the play. Oh how so much easier life can be when we listen to the Writer and not to His other characters in this play of life.

In a spiritual context, contemplation is a concentration on spiritual things as a form of private devotion, a state of mystical awareness of God's being. In a change context, contemplation is the recognition or awareness of the need of change before the action or willingness occurs to implement the change. To contemplate is to consider the options that will lead to the desired wants and needs of our future. Contemplation leads to the action of change which leads to the newness of life we are all meant to experience.

To change is to grow, to evolve, and to continue to become what God has designed for our lives. To fully embrace life means to fully embrace the changes it brings, those that produce the births of joy and those that produce the deaths of sadness. For not to evolve in the changes of life is to merely survive, void of meaning and joy. Hold onto the memories of yesterday, live in the reality of this day, learn to embrace the changes of a new day, and dream in the hopes of tomorrow.


(The writings in this post are random thoughts and observations and are NEVER intended as professional or personal advice. Take what works and leave the rest. For information on mental health and/or substance abuse help, visit http://www.rodneyvalandra.com and refer to the links page.)

Comments

  1. I love this perspective on memory - especially since I believe I am part of those distant past memories. It is too easy to fall into Regret.

    Certainly there are things I wish I had done differently, but it is the mature mind which can look back and not change a thing - as that was how you/I/we had to learn the lessons we needed to know.

    I also wish we could look forward and anticipate the lessons and wisdom to come - but that would be cheating, eh?

    JC Hills, Australia

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Worthy and Wanted

You Saw What?

Living The Label